Tuesday, June 19, 2012

KRAUT!! Part I

Sauerkraut
I decided to do this outside onthe picnic table. It was a wonderful sunny day and I have little counter space inside- plus I figured it would be a little messy....I was right!



Ok So this is my FIRST time making kraut. I have done a LOT of research trying to do it the old fashioned way, antique crock, cabbage cutter and all!


So first I cut several heads out of the garden. A few things I have read said not to wash the heads because it will wash off the natural bacteria on the leaves that helps with the fermintation, I SO would have if I bought the cabbage from the store but these are straight out of my garden, and I used flour to kill the cabbage worms. Plus it rained the night before so I figured what the hey.:)


And then these are some of the heads....


Coring the heads-- Yes I know my hands are puffy! I had a baby like 2 days before the pics were taken and my hands and feet always puff up afterwards!!


And now for a head of cabbage (outer leaves removed) to be shreaded on the cabbage slicer. Yes I know the slider box is missing. When I bought it there were two - one had the box the other did not. Price was $40 more for the one with the box....


And then I start shreadding, and shreadding, and shreadding, .....you get the picture.

Heres what some looks like after its gone thru the shreadder.


Last pic for this post! Heres whats in the crock so far....


Ok, well thats it for the first part of the kraut post. Second post will be done sometime tomorrow. Will have more in depth directions for what comes next. Trying to hold a baby and type with one hand is not easy! :)

Hope everyone is having a great day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment