Monday, April 1, 2013

Goat kids are not ment to live in the house.

We had 4 beautiful kids born 2 weeks ago come Wednesday. 
(4 of my 7 - pay no attention to the mismatched chore clothes...or the ugly carpet tiles we still haven't changed out since moving 8 months ago!)
 
 
We bottle feed our kids.  I know some of you might not agree with that, doing it voluntarily and all but that's how we manage our milk and to keep them tame and easygoing around us.  I have had goat kids we've left on the Mommas and even though we are out there everyday and they are used to us, breaking in a year and a half+ old doe to milk and stand on a stanchion and not lose their ever lovin' minds is a pain.
 
SO Mr. Hubster decided he didn't want to fashion a kid pen for me till this next weekend.  Ok... So having 5 goat kids in the house for 3 weeks...
 
And yes I can do math.  I bought a new buckling four our new sire since I'm keeping my doelings this year! :)
 
They were HUGE when they were born and started jumping out of their pen in the living room within 2 days.  Usually it takes them a week at least! 
 
Do you have ANY idea what its like to wake up with goat kids jumping on the side of your bed...or seeing them jumping up and down repeatedly on your poor bulldog whose just trying to get some sleep...or slipping in pee on the kitchen floor while you are trying to fill bottles???? (thank GOODNESS I have tile floors!)
 
Of course Hubster is like a big kid and loves sitting with them after dinner.  And the kids have been in hog heaven playing with them all the time. While I get to put them back in the pen.  Over & Over.  And over.  While cleaning up their mess and mopping constantly.  Like I have nothing else to do.  All I can say its a good thing they are cute. They all didn't see a problem leaving them in the house for another week.  They don't have a rag in one hand, mop in the other and a bottle in your back pocket 24/7!
 
(Hubster with the baby and Puddin - Yes I know I need to vacuum my floor.  Can you see my Mother Earth News peaking up from next to the play yard/ playpen or whatever you call it??)
 
What takes the cake though is waking up at 3am to feed the puppy and seeing them all out playing in the kitchen.  Except 1.  Hampton is missing. Hes the biggest one of the bunch.  I looked everywhere then I saw him... PEEING on my husbands recliner.  That did it.  So I went out to the barn at 4AM to make a kid pen. Easter Morning.  Did I mention it was at 4am!?
 
Needless to say they are happy as clams in the barn now and I somewhat have it easier in the house.  Still had breakfast done by 6am which is a little late for me but no one starved to death. 
 
Over the years we have pretty much had just about every farm animal in the house at one point or another.  Usually it only last a few days to a week.  I have found that 2 weeks is my limit with goat kids.
 
After 2 weeks its either them or me.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I was ready to pull my hair out with 2 - don't know how you did it with 5 AND with human kids too! I did find that they get used to diapers pretty easily unless they're just fatties, at which point duct tape must be used as well :D

    ReplyDelete